Training Sessions for Students Living in Ottawa
There are a number of options available to associate and general students who wish to practice more intensively, such as sitting a full or partial retreat for one or several days, or extending their practice at home to include two or three rounds.
In addition, associate or general students may register for a "training session". This requires making a commitment to one or more full weeks during which they would attend all of the formal sittings at the monastery, morning and evening, with the exception of Tuesday evening and Sunday morning (which are reserved for formal students and monastics) while continuing to live at home.
Training sessions allow students to experience what it is like to participate in the monastery's full schedule. Formal sittings are led by Roshi and include chanting practice and more extensive use of the forms. Students engaging in a training session would also have more opportunities to meet with Dharma Teachers or practice advisors to discuss their practice. At the end of a training session, students would return to their normal schedule. There is no extra dana involved in practising a training session. Please send an email to schedule at wwzc dot org to register for a training session.
Training Sessions For Public Students
This requires making a commitment to a period of one or more full weeks during which public students sit zazen according to the following schedule:
- Monday morning: 6:00 a.m. to 7:25 a.m.; Monday evening: 7:30 to 9:10 p.m.
- Tuesday morning: 6:00 a.m. to 7:25 a.m.
- Wednesday morning: 6:00 a.m. to 7:25 a.m.
- Thursday morning: 6:00 a.m. to 7:25 a.m.; Thursday evening: 7:30 to 9:10 p.m.
- Friday morning 6:00 a.m. to 7:25 a.m. (Friday is hosan and there are no scheduled sittings at the monastery, but students are expected to sit at home).
- Saturday morning: 6:00 a.m. to 7:25 a.m.
- Sunday morning: 6:00 a.m. to 7:25 a.m.
Public students who wish to do a training session should send an email to schedule at wwzc dot org to state their intention and specify the duration and schedule of their Training Session. After completing the training session, please send an email to schedule at wwzc dot org to confirm that you have fulfilled your commitment and notice of it will be included in the eMirror.